Friday 5 December 2014

Pomps Patch #12

It's been a while since I did an allotment post, mainly because there isn't much pretty about a plot in winter. We've been doing a lot of grafting; digging up what's left of the summer/autumn crops and preparing the beds for winter. The majority of them have been dug over and covered with sheets, ready for spring.

We also managed our first successful bonfire, with the help of an incinerator, and got rid of a lot of weeds. As we're only allowed bonfires on the first saturday of the month, or every tuesday after 12pm, it's been a nightmare trying to have one, in fact last winter it rained every single saturday we were allowed to burn so I'm making up for it now.


The garlic, onion and broad beans have been planted. We learned from our mistakes this year when it came to the beans, the majority of our crop was lost to black fly so this time we've planted them in November for an early spring crop, fly free.


The best thing about autumn at the allotment has been the sunsets. From about 3.30pm on wards the sky is just magical, I'm so glad Rich finished the decking because it's my favourite time to sit down with a coffee and watch the sun go down over the city.


Hopefully it won't be so long until my next allotment post. We have a lot to do over the coming months, I've even drawn a plan!! Half of our plot is still pretty over grown so the aim is to get it all dug over and put the beds in by February so we're ready for a fully functional year of goodies, who knew winter veg had to be planted in February? Nuts.

Sarah
xx

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm glad you weren't disheartened because of your experience with the beans last time. I think one of the best things about gardening is experimenting and tweaking.

    I love your allotment and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The allotment looks great and I am v impressed! Those skies make the hard work worth it I bet. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have an allotment - I have secretly always wanted one! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really coming along, can't wait to see what grows in the spring time!

    ReplyDelete