Monday 15 December 2014

Exeter Cathedral | Night time edit

While at the christmas market we noticed the doors to the cathedral were open in preparation for the carol concert and we may have snuck inside. I've wanted to go in for a long time but didn't really want to pay, I'm a cheapskate and not afraid to admit it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for donations but I think £6 is quite a lot for a quick nose around.

Anyway, I admire the magnificence that is Exeter Cathedral every single day. You can see the roof of it from my living room window, that alone makes me happy. Needless to say the inside did not disappoint, the architecture is just phenomenal. As they we were preparing for the concert we couldn't have a proper look, and I really want to go back in the day time to see the stained glass windows, but seriously, how amazing is this building? Another reason I love it is because when Exeter was pretty much destroyed during the Blitz, the cathedral remained unscathed, how great is that?


I am not religious in the slightest, but I did light a candle for my Mum because you know, it's Christmas and she would have loved it. It was warming to see people lighting their candles and whispering their sweet somethings to God/their loved ones/whoever they were saying a little prayer for. 


I fully intend to go back during the day pretty soon, especially now I know that Exeter residents can get a pass & avoid paying.

Sarah
xx

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I've walked past so many times and never stuck my head in!
    Looks completely gorgeous.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh you definitely should, it was breathtaking. xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! If you think £6 is bad, imagine how I felt at Ely cathedral at £14 a pop!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woahhh that's crazy money. I understand the entrance fee goes to the cost of keeping it open but I prefer donations. x

      Delete
  3. I'm always left wondering, how did they build something so magnificent without any of the tools we have these days. It's some serious dedication and skill, something I think we're a little lacking in our new fan-dangled technology orientated generation.

    ReplyDelete