Monday 8 September 2014

Pomps Patch #11

Remember in my last post we had all those plums from our fruit trees? Well the last couple of weeks the apple trees were ready for dropping/picking. We ended up with carrier bags full of apples, and another bag of plums, with more to come from both trees. So far I've made two crumbles with the apples and blackberries that I foraged, with more in the freezer ready to go. I do love a crumble. I kind of wish the plums hadn't tasted so nice otherwise they might have made it into jam.


One thing there has been plenty of at Pomps Patch is wildlife. Every time we pull up some old carpet we find frogs/toads/slow worms, and there have been some beautiful caterpillars too. Caterpillars destroy fruit and veg so technically are the enemy, but when they're this beautiful I can't bring myself to kill them. These guys were moved to the safety of the park, away from my crops!! With all this damp weather I have never seen so many snails and slugs, these slimy buggers are EVERYWHERE. I have touched too many with my bear hands than I'd care to think about lately.


Sarah
xx

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, I've always wanted to go apple picking, but I've never been able to find a place. So cool that you have your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it. Have you checked for any local orchards or pick your own places?

      Delete
  2. Bloomin heck, that's a lot of creepie-crawlies (and a lot of fruit,hurrah!!!!) - death to slugs!!!!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO many creepie crawlies. I was doing some weeding last night and picked up a couple of slugs with my bear hands. it was so horrible. xx

      Delete