Friday 10 August 2012

Changes

A couple of months ago things started to change. My Dad and his other half had been planning on selling up their homes and moving in together, all very lovely and exciting. The 'For Sale' boards went up, a few people viewed but not a lot happened. A couple of weeks ago the agent called and said 'great news, someone wants to view the house', or something to that effect, so I rushed around every evening and made the house spotless. Scented candles were lit, embarrassing childhood photos were hidden (mwahahaha), the house was clean and clutter free! Two days later after the initial viewing they came back. They had fallen in love with our home and wanted to buy it, and so they are. I don't think it really sunk in until I drove into the street and saw the 'Sale agreed' sign up, and then it hit me, my home of 25 years wasn't going to be MY home anymore. I have lived in this house for my entire life, apart from a couple of years away at uni, so it's pretty sad to think we'll be leaving all our memories behind. But that's the best thing about our house, it has created so many memories that I will treasure forever. Sure there have been good times and bad times, but there have definitely been more. Like remembering when my Mum and Dad brought my baby brother home from hospital, birthdays, christmas', playing in the paddling pool in the back garden or '40 40' with the neighbours. It's been magical.

And then comes the not so exciting part. When you live in a house for 33 years (my Dad, not me), you acquire a hell of a lot of crap! Combine that with the ridiculous amount of hoarding my Mum did, and you pretty much have a loft, garage and shed full to bursting. If there was a bargain to be had, mum would have it, and she'd keep it. Nothing got thrown away, EVER! So now Dad and I are left with the job of clearing it all out. What will be kept, what will be sold, what can be charity shopped, and what is so horrendous not even the tip deserves to see it.It's also a little fun when you come across some of your favourite childhood toys, like my Fisher Price farm set...


But seeing as I'm a fair bit older now, I'm far more excited by my Mum's stash of Tupperware. This stuff is amazing and I had to battle with my Dad to let me keep it and take it to wherever my new home will be.
I love it!


No doubt I'll be updating you on more epic loft finds in the not so distant future, but for now I have a bedroom to go through and 'stuff' I have to be ruthless with and get rid of, sigh!

Cheerio

xx




5 comments:

  1. That tupperware is so pretty! Good luck with all the decluttering. I can't imagine how strange it must be to move out of your home of 25 years xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely going to be strange. It's fun finding old things that you'd forgotten about though xx

      Delete
  2. What fab tupperware. I'm not surprised you fought to keep it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely Tupperware!! Good luck with the house move xx

    ReplyDelete