Monday 11 June 2012

The pro vs the newby: the knitted blanket part 1!

Like so many girls, when I was a child my Mum taught me to knit. Although I wasn't very good (I mastered the knit stitch and that was about it), I really enjoyed it. Sadly as I 'grew up' I lost interest in it. But over the last few years I've really got back into crafting and the love of handmade treats, so I decided I would knit a blanket. I thought this would be a simple yet big project to ease me into knitting again, knitting 90 odd squares can't be too hard right? So with the help of the lovely Joe at Josie-Mary, and the creator of the wonderful Make Do and Mend in Exeter, and YouTube I began knitting my squares. 


When I told Mr P's Mum that I was knitting a blanket, she told me all about the clothes and things she used to knit for Mr P and his sister, her family and friends etc. and offered to give me a hand. As a somewhat newby to knitting I was pretty chuffed to have some help. Needless to say I'm still pretty slow so it's taken me a while to really get the hang of it and pick my speed up, but with Mrs Mum's help it's starting to come together. 
Mrs Mum's Pile Vs Mine (I have done 3 more since the photo was taken)
The squares so far. It looks dark right now but I'm about to start on the rusty/earth tones.

So this is where I'm at so far and the rest is down to me. With a bit of luck and a lot of knitting it'll be ready by winter (although it feels like winter is here already). I'll keep you posted on its progress :)

What are you making at the moment? 

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment